Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Light Dinner - Grilled Chicken with Ponzu Dressing

After a week of beef and "fancy" eating, I was in the mood for a light meal.

I remembered I had a bottle of Ponzu Sauce I found while walking through the aisles of a local Asian market.

Citrus seasoned soy sauce. Hmm... That sounds interesting. I like a squeeze of lemon or lime in my food. Also, I must be a sucker for pretty packages. I wonder if the kanji means "Buy me" or some other subliminal messages. :-)


I pulled out the George Foreman.
A few dashes of salt and a couple grinds, plus a couple drops of olive oil on a chicken breast.
Grilled about 5 minutes and done.


I dipped a piece of chicken breast in the Ponzu sauce and the other Kikkoman soy sauce.
The soy sauce is definately saltier and has a stronger malty aroma and taste.
The ponzu sauce is about half as strong as the soy sauce, but it also has a tartness to the flavor, from the citrus. Not bad. Would make a good dipping sauce for potstickers or tempura. However, for stronger flavored foods, I believe the subtle tartness would be washed out.

The Final Dish
Grilled chicken breast, a wedge of iceberg lettuce and orange segments (in fancy restaurants known as orange supremes - orange segments with the skin, pith, membrane and seeds removed)... dressed with a Ponzu dressing.


The taste was like a Chinese-style chicken salad without the puffy noodles and toasted almond slivers. A light soy sauce flavor was enhanced by the nuttiness of the toasted sesame seeds.

For the dressing, I just kept it simple.
1 T Ponzu
1/2 t olive oil
a drop or two of toasted sesame seed oil

Whisk

No comments: