Saturday, March 8, 2008

Fig Tree Cuttings

I've always had a fascination with gardening and fruit trees. Maybe it's something that reminds me of my childhood where we had apple, lemon, pear, loquat and cherry trees.

Of course, me trying to be different, I have been fascinated with unique fruits. Figs being one of them. I always thought they needed really warm temperatures for them to fruit, but found that there are a few varieties that will grow in cooler climates.

I received some cuttings from the Germplasm Repository.
This will be my first attempt to grow a tree from these "twigs".
Rooting Information from Encanto Farms

Fig Cuttings: Osbourne Prolific


Cut end


Cuttings bagged with a slightly damp paper towel.


Hopefully, in a few weeks there will be roots sprouting from the cuttings.

2 comments:

Miguel said...

I couldn't find a follow up on these cuttings. How did they do?

Eat4Fun said...

Hi Miguel,
I've been meaning to post an update and will probably get to it around the first week of October.