Saturday, May 30, 2009

May 30: Scallion Pancake

With work being hectic and my project to take down the tree, I've been wanting to make something in the kitchen.

I was looking through books at the library and came across a dim sum cookbook.

Dim Sum: The Art of Chinese Tea Lunch by Ellen Leong Blonder, 2002.

One recipe that looked simple to make was scallion pancakes.

Scallion Pancakes

1 1/2 C All-Purpose Flour [I weighed out 215 g]
1/2 C Boiling Water
2 T Cold Water
4 to 6 Scallions (white and green parts, thinly sliced about 1 C) [I used 1/2 green onions and 1/2 Chinese chives totaling about 3/4 C]
1T Vegetable Shortening or Toasted Sesame Oil
Salt [I used Kosher]
2 to 4 T Vegetable Oil

Sift flour into a large bowl.
Stir in the boiling water and blend well. Add the cold water.
Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 4 to 5 minutes or until the dough is firm and elastic.
Dust the dough with flout and wrap with plastic for a 30 minute rest.

Instead of sifting, I added the flour to the food processor and let it run for 10 one second pulses.
After, that the boiling water was added and pulsed ten times... The dough will appear crumbly.
The 2 T of water was added and the dough started pulling away from the sides... about 20 pulses.



After kneading, the dough was smooth and not as stiff as I expected.
Wrap for a 30 minute rest.


My toppings: Green onion (aka scallions) and chive mixture; Kosher salt and sesame oil.


After 30 minutes, the dough was divided into 6 equal portions.
The dough was rolled out to about an 8 in round.
Sesame oil is brushed on the pancake.


A couple pinches of kosher salt and 1T of the scallion mixture is sprinkled onto the dough.


Folded over sides (about thirds)


Rolled into a cylinder.


Stand on end to....


mash down for more rolling...


Roll to about a 5 " diameter.


Using the veg oil Pan-fry over medium heat about 3 minutes per side.


Cut into wedges and serve.


Overall, had a nice oniony flavor and the texture was chewy.

2 comments:

Audax said...

Nice series of the process as always - think I will make these also. A pleasure! I thought that much sesame oil would over-power the dish good that it didn't. I just checked I have black sesame oil and it is so strong in flavour I would only use 1 1/2 teaspoon only. Another Asian dish you are on a run!!!!! Audax

Ellen Blonder said...

Thanks for the plug! Just found my pancakes on your blog, and wish I had some of those pancakes right now. Looks like you made them just right. I love to see people use their cooking instincts to improvise and feel their way through a recipe.