Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Feb 09, 2010: Tofu Tuesday - Fu Yung

Welcome to another edition (#2) of Tofu Tuesday!

I've been trying to come up with creative ways to add tofu into my diet.
I decided to try using it as an egg substitute in making Egg Fu Yung.
For me, egg fu yung needs onion and other vegetables, including bean sprouts. However, I forgot to buy bean sprouts so I used cabbage as a substitute.

Tofu Fu Yung
1 block of Firm Tofu, 14 oz
1/4 C Onion, thinly sliced
1/2 Zucchini, shredded
1 Carrot, shredded
1/2 C Cabbage, sliced thinly
1 Stalk Green Onion, chopped
1/4 t White Pepper
1/2 t Salt
1/4 t Sesame Oil
1/4 t Garlic Powder

Fu Yung Gravy
1 1/2 C Water
1 Chicken Bouillon
1 t Hoisin Sauce
1 t Oyster Sauce
2 t Soy Sauce
1 T Cornstarch, mixed with a little water to form a slurry.

1) Chop the veggies.


2) Mash the tofu, add the white pepper, salt and toasted sesame oil and mix.
Add the veggies and mix thoroughly.


3) Form patties and pan-fry.
I recommend making the size of your spatula for easier flipping.


4) Fry until nicely browned on both sides.
The tofu patties are quite soft so you may have to flip half a patty at a time. There's no eggs to bind the mixture. However, if I added more shredded cabbage or bean sprouts, the veggies would have intertwined to form a stronger patty.


5) Make the gravy - combine all the ingredients, except the cornstarch. Bring to a boil. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture until you achieve the thickness you like for gravy.

The Finished Dish - Brown rice, tofu fu yung with gravy and a few drops of hot sauce for added flavor.


The flavor was there. As I mentioned, to me, egg fu yung achieves most of it's familar flavor from fried onion and veggies. The tofu (like egg) doesn't really add flavor, but acts as a binder and a protein source.

I'm not sure if I really like the gravy. By itself, it's a bit salty, but when paired with the blander tofu fu yung it seemed to work.

In hindsight, I should have added more veggies (cabbage, bean sprouts, celery... etc) so the fu yung would have more structure.

No comments: